It is a privilege to present this year’s candidates. Please read their candidate statements prior to placing your vote.
The elected candidates will serve their terms beginning January 1, 2023. The voting period is May 5 through May 20. Voting will end on May 20 at 5:00 PM EST.
Who is Eligible to Vote?
- Institutional members – Primary contact only
- Retired members
If you did not receive the email with the link to cast your vote, and you are the key contact for your institution or are a retired member, please email [email protected].
Business partner, educator, affiliate, and student members are not eligible to vote.
- Leisa Bryant
- Thom Pastor
- Neal Lavender
- Timothy Schoonmaker
- (3 Open Positions) Director at Large
- Angela O’Neill
- Patrick LaMont
- Erica Block
- Simone Nicolas
- Dennis Brennan
- (2) Leadership Development Committee members
- Andrew Bergman
- Ethan Headley
- Promoting the organization and expanding its membership through networking, inclusivity, and championing the value of AHFs membership.
- Expansion of the AHF resources and tools to ensure easy access and availability of evidence-based information to its members.
- Advocating for self-operation among Healthcare Executives using data from Benchmarking Express
With more than 11 years in hospitals I’ve served as the Executive Chef, Nutrition Services Manager for two critical access hospitals and the Food Service Manager for two acute care hospitals. Since joining healthcare and AHF I have earned multiple degrees, spoken at conferences in New York and Oregon, helped build a hospital, managed through multiple disasters (and now a pandemic), served as a culinary school advisor, served many charities including ChefsCycle for No Kid Hungry and World Central Kitchen. Support from AHF and its membership have been instrumental in all these accomplishments. I’m proud to continue my service.
- Secretary – Current
- Director-at-Large – two terms
- Chapter Leadership Committee
- E-Library Committee
- Co-President – Oregon Chapter
With five years’ experience on the Board of Directors, I’m proud to have been part of this organization and our work supporting self-operators.
My priorities are:
- Supporting the professional development of self-op food service leaders.
- Providing resources to help operator members lead their teams to success.
- Foster strong networks between operator members as well as between operator members and business partners.
- Provide assistance to healthcare leaders looking to take their operations from contract management to self-op.
It will be my pleasure to continue this work supporting operators.
- AHF Advocacy:
- AHF Board Member – Director at Large (2020 – Present)
- AHF North Central Texas Member (2016 – Present)
- Committee Work & Support:
- Membership Committee (2022 – Present)
- Education Committee Chair (2020 – 2021)
- 2020 AHF Exemplary Leadership Award
- 2021 Visionary Award
I would appreciate your consideration as Treasurer Elect on the AHF National Board. In this role, I will support AHF to the best of my abilities ensuring smart financial decisions for our membership. I do believe I am perfect for this role as I am someone who is known for being meticulous and having strong financial acumen. I also have a proven track record for managing multi-million dollar budgets through my career. I look forward this next term working with our AHF leadership on your behalf.
- AHF Benchmarking Committee Chair, 2019-2020
- AHF Nominating Committee Member, 2018
- AHF Exemplarily Leadership Award Winner, 2019
- AHF Conference Planning Committee Member, 2020
- AHF Self Operated Committee Member, 2021- Current
- AHF Board of Directors (Director at Large), Current Term
- AHF Culinary Competition, 3rd Place- 2019 (Scottsdale, AZ)
- AHF People’s Choice- Virtual Culinary Competition- AHF-2020
- VA Board Member- ANFP; Speaker at ACE national conference
- Southwest Virginia Chapter of the American Culinary Federation Member; Education Committee Chair (2021), Vice President (2022)
- Mentor, Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Central Virginia; President of the Board (2020-2021).
- Lynchburg City Schools partners in education member
DIRECTOR AT LARGE CANDIDATES
Director Nutrition Services
Hunterdon Medical Center
Being a part of AHF National and our local AHF-NJ Chapter has been exciting and invaluable to my growth as a leader. It would be my pleasure to continue to serve and provide valuable knowledge to the association as a Director at Large.
- 2021-2022 Treasurer Elect to Treasurer
- 2020 Co-Chair of the Conference Planning Committee
- Committees served from 2011-present
- Membership Committee
- Self-op Project Team
- Conference Planning Committee
- Awards Committee Co-Chair
- Nominating Committee
- Chapter Advisory Board Co-Chair
- Education-Webinar & Regional Networking Committee
- Culinary Competition Committee
- Served as an AHF-NJ Board Member 2011-present
- AHF-NJ Chapter President- 2 terms
- 2017 & 2021-AHF Chapter of the Year Award
- 2021 AHF Exemplary Leadership Award
- 2016 AHF Partnership in Leadership Award Recipient
- 2009 Hunterdon Medical Center’s Leadership Excellence Award
Statement of Priorities:
AHF has personally provided me with a breadth of opportunities since inception and I am truly dedicated to its success and growth to remain the premier organization for self-op healthcare foodservice. Serving on the Board of Directors would allow me to continue my journey contributing and supporting the mission and strategic plans. I consider AHF members extended family and being there for family is so important to me.
Director of Food and Nutrition
Brookdale Hospital and Medical Center
I’ve been a Food Service Leader for more than 30 years. I started as a dietary worker and I’ve since worked in K-12, B & I, Prison and the Healthcare Industry. I’ve held numerous positions such as; District Manager, Director of Food and Nutrition, General Manager. One of my greatest accomplishments was completing my MBA and going to the Middle East as a Subject Matter expert (SME) to work on a Greenfield, Design Build project worth over $1.2B but my greatest accomplishment is marrying my wife and creating 3 beautiful sons.
My priorities would be to, listen and support the leadership of AHF in order to meet the needs of our members on the topics of today and, where appropriate share my ideas of the future and the challenges that face us today. I will make myself available and willingly share my experiences in order to, drive AHF to be the needed resources for all our self-operators giving them, a competitive advantage for success in our industry and beyond.
AHF recent participation:
- State of the Industry Committee
- AHF Midwest Planning Committee
- Self-Operated Committee
- AHF Spotlight Award 2021
Other recent participation:
- IFMA FS Leadership Council
- RUSH Team of the Year 2021
- Food Management-Magazine Best Concept Award-2021
- General Mills Gold Star Advisory Board
- Instructor at RUSH University
AHF has provided me with an opportunity to feel connected to like-minded foodservice professionals. I would be honored and humbled to represent the members as a Director at Large in this vibrant community of superstars. As a Director at Large my priorities would be to support the growth of our membership through focus on growth of the local chapters and sharing the AHF vision to those in the industry that may not know the opportunities self-operations provides. I am committed to helping AHF flourish so that we can continue to provide exceptional value to our members and the customers we serve.
Association position currently held:
- AHF NY Board of Directors: President-Elect
Past offices held and/or contributions to professional organizations include:
- AHF NY Board of Directors: Secretary
- AHF National, Membership Committee 2020-2021
- Conference speaker, AHF Annual Conference 2021
- SO Connected Magazine Contribution August 2020
AHF is a dynamic value driven organization providing superior resources to members. As Director at Large, I am committed to supporting AHFs initiatives for membership, education, and strategic planning utilizing opportunities to share my expertise and collaborate to support the organization’s operational success.
Dennis Brennan is a 45-year food and beverage professional with a background in hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues, and since 2003, healthcare foodservice.
- Consultant, then Director for Temple University Health System Philadelphia (6 years)
- Manager of Retail Operations at Reading Hospital (12+ years)
- Member of Self-Op Committee (3 years)
- Member of Conference Planning Committee (2022)
- Member of Chapter Advisory Board (4 years)
- President of Philadelphia South Jersey Chapter since January 2019
Since I moved into healthcare foodservice 19 years ago, I am most proud of my association with both National and Chapter AHF. I found an organization wholly dedicated to a more important aspect of the F&B industry – that of clinical patient care and service to long-term residents.
My efforts would be directed toward the growth of our organization, both operators and vendor-partners.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE MEMBER CANDIDATES
- AHF National Conference Planning Co-Chair
- AHF Wisconsin Chapter – Director of Hospitality and Seminar
Past offices held and contributions to professional organizations include:
I believe strongly in educating the leaders of tomorrow. I strive to emulate this by working directly with my team, networking with like-minded professional, mentoring through BOCES and collaborating with students at Cornell University. My goal for AHF is to build a robust pool of talented and successful leaders.